Girls Inspiring Girls

Friday, November 21, 2014

What Time I Am Afraid

When I was younger, I had the fear of being alone. I don't know why, but I was terrified that if I were left alone, I would open the door and find myself floating in space with nothing but the room I was in. As I got older, it was more of a fear that the rapture would come and everyone I knew and loved would leave me.

I had gotten saved at five years old, but I could only remember certain parts. The fact that I couldn't remember everything scared me. One night when I was about eight years old, I got out of bed and told my mom that I was really scared. I remember that she asked me a question: "Are you doubting your salvation?"

Instead of answering, I pretended like I hadn't heard her. I didn't want to admit that I was.

On October 7, 2010 when I was ten, I went upstairs again and talked to my mom. This time, I placed all of my trust in Jesus Christ. I finally believed that He could and would take all of my sins away. I didn't have to be afraid anymore, because Someone would always be with me.

One of my favorite verses is Joshua 1:9:

Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest.

Titus 1:3 says:


...which God, that cannot lie,...

As you can see in the verse above, God can't lie. That means that everything He has promised us is true. We can completely believe promises such as I will never leave you, I will forgive you, and I will be faithful. 


Jesus talked about fear a lot. In fact, fear was usually coupled with faith. In Luke 8:50, He tells Jairus not to fear, but believe (have faith) and his daughter would live.

I thought I knew a lot about having faith. I mean, Faith is my middle name! (Yes, it really is:)) But when I was afraid, I was depending wholly on myself. 

The only way to get rid of fear is to replace it with faith and trust completely in God.

Because I'm a Christian, I have two choices: I can continue being afraid, or I can give it to God and walk by faith.

I saw a picture once that said "I will claim the promises of God." I want to continue to claim His promises for myself and place my trust in God instead of my own feelings.

What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee. 
Psalm 56:3

~Carissa De Leon


Ask questions at Girls Inspiring Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment