Girls Inspiring Girls

Friday, November 14, 2014

Beauty Isn't Makeup

This outfit makes me look so fat! Does my hair look okay? I wish I could find an outfit to go with these shoes. Why isn't my makeup cooperating? I guarantee that every girl has said at least one of these things at some point in time. 

Although it is important to have a good testimony in the way we dress and present ourselves, it is imperative that we aren't always focusing on our outward appearance. Once caught in that trap, it's very difficult to get out. 

Many girls, including myself, are focused on how stylish or un-stylish we are, how good at doing hair we are, or how amazing our makeup looks. We get so caught up in the outward that we forget about the heart. I think the main reason for this is that we crave other people’s approval. It is so important to us to be accepted in today’s society that we focus on what we can do that is noticeable. 

All in all, it’s a matter of pride. We care more about what people think than we care about what God thinks. We can’t handle the fact that people might not notice us if we focus on our inner beauty. For example, if I made a spiritual decision, someone wouldn't walk up and say “Oh, your heart looks beautiful today.” That would just be weird. Because of this, we spend hours trying to look perfect. We are completely ignoring the reason we were put on earth, to give glory and honor to God. How much time do you spend a day choosing an outfit, putting makeup on, and doing your hair? How much time do you spend getting spiritually ready for a day? I saw these questions in a devotional book and was completely convicted.

Rather than spending long periods of time trying to make ourselves look perfect, we should be spending all day every day allowing God to shape us into His image. 




But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.


I Samuel 16:7

~Charis Smith

1 comment: