Girls Inspiring Girls

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Camp Joy | Carissa:)

   This summer, like Charis, I had the amazing opportunity to work at Camp Joy in Whitewater, WI.
I worked in the Housekeeping department. Basically, we cleaned everything. By everything I mean bathrooms (at least most of them which was a lot!), the chapel, the Lodge (which included the Fireside Room and Dining Hall), the Heritage Room, the Office, the Gym, the Nurse's Station, etc. We also serviced the Driftwood Cabins and Deluxe Rooms where families stay during family camps and sponsors stay during teen or junior weeks. Every afternoon we stocked the Gym Snack Shop and Snack Shack (try saying that five times fast! "Stocking the Snack Shop."). In the afternoons and evenings we worked in the different shops: the Bookstore, General Store, Gym Snack Shop, and the Snack Shack in the Lodge.

   Because I wasn't able to be at Camp Joy during training week, I was definitely baptized by fire! I honestly had no idea what I was doing the first week, but thankfully, the other girls and both my supervisors taught me well:) I may or may not have exploded a blender during Junior Camp 1, dump hot chocolate mix all over me, and cut my thumb open two days before I left, but I survived! During Teen 3, a lot of us Housekeeping girls were able to help out in the kitchen because the Kitchen staff had lost a few people. We didn't really have any idea what we were doing in there, but the Kitchen staff graciously taught us. We waitress-ed, worked in the dish room (we REALLY didn't know what we were doing in there ;)) and helped clean up as much as we could before doing our own jobs.

   I made a lot of friends over the summer as well! I had my own little cleaning buddy (the nurse's three-year-old son) who helped me clean every morning. He called me Cleaning Carissa:). And then all the other op-staff people. We had so many inside jokes that no one would ever get and would probably think we're crazy. But we had tons of fun. I was able to go to most of the evening chapel services. There were so many great messages and God was definitely working in every one of the camps. I had an amazing time this summer and hope to be able to do it again next year!!

   If I had to sum up my entire summer in one sentence, it would be "God is good." Pastor Tom Ferrell was one of the speakers for Teen 3 and that was his theme. It was just a really awesome reminder that even when it doesn't seem like God knows what's going on, He's still good. I had to leave before the last week of camp so Teen 3 was my last week. One of the things that was said in the last staff meeting I was able to attend was, "God has a plan." Even if I don't know what God has for me in my life, He does have a plan and He is always good.

~Carissa:)


Ask any questions you may have at Girls Inspiring Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment